History About T.P.U.

April 1923 Konishi Professional School of Photography was founded (in today's Shibuya Ward, Tokyo).
March 1926 The school was renamed Tokyo Professional School of Photography.
April 1944 The school was renamed Tokyo Professional School of Photographic Industry.
April 1950 The school was reorganized as the Tokyo Junior College of Photography under the new educational system of Japan, and moved to Nakano Ward, Tokyo. It consisted of the Department of Photography and Department of Photographic Engineering (renamed the Department of Applied Photography in 1967).
March 1962 The Department of Photographic Printing (renamed the Department of Image Information Engineering in 1976) was established.
April 1966 The Tokyo College of Photography Faculty of Engineering was founded (consisting of the Department of Photographic Engineering and the Department of Printing Engineering) in Atsugi, Kanagawa.
Tokyo Junior College of Photography was renamed the Tokyo College of Photography Junior College Department.
April 1973 The Department of Applied Chemistry was added to the Faculty of Engineering.
April 1974 The Department of Architecture was added to the Faculty of Engineering.
April 1976 The Department of Electronic Engineering was added to the Faculty of Engineering. The Department of Printing Engineering was renamed the Department of Image Information Engineering.
April 1977 The Tokyo College of Photography was renamed the Tokyo Polytechnic University, and its Junior College Department became the Tokyo Polytechnic University, Junior College Department.
April 1978 The Graduate School of Engineering was established, offering master's degrees in Image Science and Technology and Industrial Chemistry.
April 1982 Tokyo Kougei Women's Junior College (Secretarial Course) was established in Atsugi, Kanagawa.
April 1990 The Graduate School of Engineering was expanded to offer master's degrees in Architecture and Electronics Engineering.
April 1993 The Department of Photographic Engineering was reorganized as the Department of Photo-Optical Engineering.
April 1994 The Faculty of Arts was founded. It was comprised of a Department of Photography, Department of Imaging Art, and Department of Design, and utilized both the Nakano and Atsugi Campuses.
The Graduate School of Engineering was expanded, offering Ph.D.s in Industrial Chemistry and Electronic Engineering.
April 1997 The Graduate School of Engineering was expanded, offering master's degree in Photo-Optical Engineering.
August 1997 Tokyo Polytechnic University, Junior College Department was dismantled.
April 1998 The Graduate School of Arts was established, offering a master's degree in Media Art, at the Nakano Campus.
A special course on Photographic Art was offered at the Nakano Campus.
April 1999 The Department of Industrial Chemistry was renamed the Department of Applied Chemistry.
April 2000 The Graduate School of Arts was expanded, offering a Ph.D. in Media Art at the Nakano Campus.
The Department of Electronic Engineering was renamed the Department of Electronics and Computer Engineering.
April 2001 The Graduate School of Engineering began offering a Ph.D. in Architecture.
The Department of Media Art wasadded to the Faculty of Arts.
The Women's Junior College Division Secretarial Course was renamed the Department of Business Information.
April 2002 The Department of Photo-Optical Engineering was renamed the Department of Photonic Information and Media Engineering.
The Graduate School of Engineering began offering a Ph.D. in Media Engineering.
April 2003 The Department of Animation was added to the Faculty of Arts.
The Visual CommunicationCourse and the Human Product Course was set up in the Department of Design
April 2004 The Faculty of Engineering wasreorganaized.
July 2005 Tokyo Kougei Women's Junior College was dismantled.
April 2007 The Department of Manga was added to the Faculty of Arts.
The Animation Course and the Game Course was set up in the Department of Animation.
April 2008 The master's degree in Photo-Optical Engineering and Image Science and Technology of the Graduate School of Engineering were reorganized as the master's degree in Media Engineering.
The Department of Electronic Engineering of the Graduate School of Engineering was renamed the Department of Electronics and Information Technology.
April 2009 The Department of Nanochemistry was renamed the Department of Life Science and Sustainable Chemistry.
April 2010 The Department of Architecture was renamed the Department of Architecture and Wind Engineering.
The Department of System Electronics and Information Technology was renamed the Department of Electronics and Mechatronics.
The Department of Game was added to the Faculty of Arts.
The Digital Communication Course was set up in the Department of Design.
The Department of Media Art was renamed the Department of Interactive Media.
April 2013 The Courses of The Department of Design was Integrated